Department of Orthopedics
We are committed to excellence in patient care, scientific training and research and the development of the next generation of orthopedic surgeons. The location of National Institute of Medical Science and Research is unique as it situated on Jaipur Delhi Highway, catering large number of cases of polytrauma due to road traffic accidents. So our primary mission is to provide quality and accessible orthopedic care and is to enable undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) students to understand basic and advanced issues related to Orthopedics and also to help them in utilizing their knowledge & skills in the treatment of Orthopedics problems.
To sum up the goals and objectives of the departments are:
- To provide round the clock quality health care in the diagnosis and management of orthopedic emergencies, trauma and road traffic accidents related injuries.
To provide effective management in orthopedic conditions such as deformities correction in poliomyelitis, cerebral palsy, CTEVS.
- To provide comprehensive care in conditions such as bone tumors, osteomyelitis etc.
- To provide tertiary level care in spine injuries and other degenerative spinal conditions.
- To conduct advance operative procedures including arthroscopy of various joints, implant surgeries, total joint replacement (knee, hip, elbow, shoulder) and Ilizarov procedures.
- The department has required infrastructure as per Medical Council of India (MCI) norms – Well equipped state of art modular operation theatre, Well equipped plaster room, Well furnished and equipped laboratory, demonstration room equipped with latest teaching aids namely overhead projector, LCD with computers and slide projectors. The departmental library has got latest text books and journals and the seminar room is well equipped and well furnished.
- Various specialty clinic are being conducted in the department: 1) Fracture Clinic 2) Arthritis Clinic 3) Low backache and spine clinic 4) Sports injury clinic 5) Deformity clinic. Department is backed Up with physiotherapy, rehabilitation and occupational therapy services. To provide pain free mobility. Physiotherapy and occupational therapy department is fully equipped with latest modalities.
- The department has highly qualified, motivated and experienced teaching faculty as per MCI norms. The department is effectively implementing teaching/ training programmes for undergraduate and post graduate students as per MCI norms.
- The department conducts regular seminars and journal club sessions using modern teaching and research strategies. We also have regular case presentation and group discussion by PG students thereby helping them in accumulating clinical acumen.
Seminars are also conducted in collaboration with other clinical departments for developing holistic clinical knowledge of UG and PG students.
The department also has in-patient care facilities. Two wards (separate for males, females and children) with a total strength of 90 beds exist (54 for male and 36 for female) with the facilities as per all MCI norms
The seminar rooms and demonstration rooms are equipped with the latest teaching aids i.e overhead projector, LCD with computer.
- The Department Library has the latest 146 textbooks and journals to update the faculty and postgraduate residents alike.
- Postgraduate students of the department are engaged in research in core as well as emerging areas of Orthopedics, which is being published regularly in reputed journals.
The Department of Orthopedics is doing periodic assessment of all UG students and a log book is being maintained by the PG students for entering day to day performance. This log book is being signed/counter signed by various faculty members of department regularly.
- The department of Orthopedics is maintaining the highest standards in discipline/evidence based teaching and training/research driven education/ vibrant academic activities. The department is also encouraging interaction with the allied departments by rendering services and relevant expert opinions.