Department of Psychiatry
The aim of the Department of Psychiatry is to enable undergraduate and post graduate students to understand and practice a holistic approach to psychiatric illness and to encourage problem based learning and application of knowledge and skills in patient care & scientific research.
- The department of psychiatry has the required infrastructure as per MCI norms- 30 bedded psychiatric unit well equipped and furnished. Facilities for Psychodiagnostics, Psychotherapeutics and IQ assessment are available.
- Weekly specialty clinics are being run by the department: Child guidance, De-addiction, Geriatric Mental Health, Memory, Neuropsychiatry Clinic for elderly and Psychomotor clinic on regular basis.
- Other Facilities Available are: ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy)/ Biofeedback/ Psychological Tests/ Multiple behavior therapy.
- The department has highly qualified and experienced teaching faculty as per MCI norms. The Department effectively implements teaching/training programmes for Undergraduate, postgraduate and paramedical students including Students and interns of nursing, Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy.
- Evidence based teaching and research strategies are encouraged especially in the form of Group discussion, Seminars, Case presentations and Journal Club, special emphasis being given to interactive teaching/lectures. Interdepartmental meets, Integrated teaching and Guest lectures are scheduled from time to time.
- Post graduate students of the department are engaged in research in psychiatry which gets presented in Conferences and published regularly in reputed journals. Attendance of CMEs and Conferences are encouraged. The faculty and post graduate students regularly participate in National and State/Zonal conferences/CMEs.
- The Departmental library and museum is well equipped with latest journals, 110 textbooks, reference books, spotters and radio graphic films.
- The Department of Psychiatry is doing periodic assessment of all UG students and a log book is being maintained by the PG students for entering day to day performance. This log book is being signed/counter signed by various faculty members of department regularly.
- Emergency and referral services of psychiatry are available round the clock all 7 days of the week.
- Community Psychiatry activities are encouraged in the form of free camps, public awareness programmes with posters and pamphlet distribution, celebration of World Mental Health day, World Schizophrenia day, No Tobacco Day, Suicide Prevention Day, Drug de-addiction day, Autism awareness day, Epilepsy Day, Bipolar Day, Disability day etc.
- The Department of Psychiatry maintains a high standard of patient care and medical training with special emphasis on quality time given to each and every patient and detailed Psychiatric work up. The Department encourages academic activities and interaction with allied departments to ensure a complete systemic and holistic approach to patient care.